Novodevichy Convent – Orthodox convent of the Russian Church in Moscow.
The Novodevichy Convent was founded by Grand Prince Vasily III in 1524 – in honor of the Smolensk Icon of the Mother of God “Hodegetria” – the main sanctuary of Smolensk, in gratitude for the capture of Smolensk in 1514.
The monastery is located in the Virgin’s Field in a bend of the Moskva River, near Luzhniki, at the end of the historical Prechistenka (now Big Pirogov street). It is both a monastery and a current branch of the State Historical Museum. From 2010 – Museum of the Moscow Church of the Diocese of the ROC.
The center of the monastery – a monumental, five-domed (initially seems – The nine, with four chapels in the corners, as in the Annunciation Cathedral of the Moscow Kremlin) Smolensky Cathedral, in the interior of which is preserved fresco painting of XVI century. The cathedral was built on the model of the Assumption Cathedral in the Kremlin.
At the end of the XVII century, during the reign of Sophia, around the Smolensk Cathedral centric architectural ensemble was created, in which the cathedral appeared crossing the center of the two main axes. Axis ‘north-south’ form two gate churches, and the “east-west” axis – bell tower and refectory.
According to the document of the second half of the XVIII century, the author of this ensemble and the creator of most of the monastery buildings is the architect Peter Potapov – founder of the Church of the Assumption on Pokrovka, close to the stylistic features of the Novodevichy buildings.