Lajes-das Flores is a municipality located on the island of Flores. Administratively the island of Flores is divided into two municipalities: Lajes-das Flores and Santa Cruz das Flores. The municipality of Lajes-das Flores is located in the southern part of the island, and almost the entire island surrounds of the Atlantic ocean except for the Northern part of the territory of the municipality, which is bordered by Santa Cruz das Flores.
The territory of Lajes-das Flores is approximately 70 square km, the population is about 15,000 people, and the municipality includes 7 regions: Faja Grande Franzina, Fazenda, Lajedo, Lomba, Mosteiro and Lajes-das Flores.
The first mention of the territory dates back to the beginning of the XVI century. Lajes do Pico was the first territory in the southern part of the island of Flores, which began to be settled. The settlement flourished, and in 1515 the village was granted town status. It should be noted that Lajes is the oldest settlement in the Eastern group Islands of the Azores archipelago.