Sint-Niklaas — a town in the Belgian province of East Flanders. On 1 January 2008, Sint-Niklaas had more than 70,000 residents and was the twentieth populous city of Belgium. The city is also known for its market square, the largest in Belgium. Despite the fact that the present territory of Sint-Niklaas were found traces of human activity Dating to the period before the Roman conquest, a regional center under the Romans was nearby Waasmunster, perhaps due to the more recent output location on the river Durme, a tributary of the Scheldt. After the second world war the textile industry was once again in deep crisis and today it has almost disappeared entirely. The historic city centre is the shopping and commercial district.
The Church of St. Nicholas, founded in the XIII century and gave the city its name. During economicheskogo uprising (about 1580) the interior of the Church was seriously damaged. Today’s interior dates from the Baroque period.
Market square, the largest in Belgium.
St. Mary’s Church
Dedicated to the history of cartography, the Mercator Museum
House in art Nouveau style