Kunda is a city in the North of Estonia, in lääne-Virumaa. The city is known since the XIII century. Until the mid-nineteenth century Kunda remained as a small village. In 1870 began the construction of one of Russia’s largest cement plant, in 1893, the first industrial plant in Estonia. All of this was the early development of the village and in 1938 it received the status of the city.
About Kunda on the hill of Lammasmae, which was an island in ancient lake, found the remains of the oldest Estonian settlements of ancient man (about 10 thousand years ago). Near the city on the coast are the ruins of Toolse. Industry food and cement. There is a Museum of cement.
The town is the birthplace of the famous Estonian astronomer Ernst Öpik.