District Upper Thompson in Singapore popular with locals, as the large area greens Golf course, pond and Park. Thomson Road – the main thoroughfare connecting the Central business district of Singapore with the Northern suburban areas. Taking its name from John Turnbull Thomson, a Scotsman who was the government surveyor and Chief engineer of the Straits Settlements from 1841 to 1853 and who helped build many roads into the interior of the island outside of the core city centre to the South.
Originally known as Seletar road (late, of which now the name of a small road from Iio Chu Kang road, Seletar Hills State), it was known to the Chinese as Chia Chui Kang, literally meaning “freshwater stream” on the Kallang River, which crosses the road in its upper reaches, near the traditional core area present eng Mo Kio. Thus, it was also known as ang, Kio, meaning “the head of the red bridge, the same bridge which may have given Angu Mo Kio his name. It also had a Tamil name, Tenir Pilei Sedacca, literally meaning “water.”
Today, the road starts at the main intersection of roads from Keng Lee road, Kampong of Java road, Cavenagh road and Norfolk road, and leads to the North through a residential area of the Novena. It passes by Toa Payoh before continuing on as Upper Thomson Road at the junction with Braddell road and Lorne road. It glides along the Western edge Bichena and ang Mo Kio, then cuts through relatively undeveloped areas until it reaches the intersection with Mandailles road, where it continues to the North through Samoeng road. It is also the territory of Saint Joseph Institution International, Ministry of Youth and many more.